Instant Pot Short Ribs
Instant Pot Short Ribs
Inspired by Dini K from the flavor blender
1 hr 10 mins
- 6 lbs LM Meat beef braising short ribs, about 8 short ribs
- Salt to season generously
- 1 medium onion sliced thickly
- ½ cup bourbon
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or 2 tsp if you prefer it spicier
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Thyme 2 – 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup beef stock I used homemade chicken and beef broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 tbsp water
1. Fill a large bowl or pot with cold water. Immerse the short ribs, and rinse the ribs in the cold water to wash off excess blood and bone dust.
2. Drain and pat dry the short ribs with paper towels. Generously sprinkle salt on all the ribs, on both sides.
3. Switch on the Instant Pot to the saute setting on high. When the instant pot is hot, pour about 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot, place about 3 – 4 short ribs in the instant pot to caramelize or to sear. It’s important not to overcrowd the bottom in order to get nice caramelization on your short ribs. Sear the short ribs on all sides, about 2 – 3 minutes per side. Place the caramelized short ribs on a plate.
4. Repeat with the rest of the short ribs.
5. For the next step, you will only need about 1 tbsp of oil in the instant pot. Discard the excess oil if there’s more than 1 tbsp of it in the instant pot at this point.
6. Place the thickly sliced onion in the pot, and add the boubon. De-glaze the bottom of the instant pot to make sure that all of the caramelized bits on the bottom are mixed with the bourbon (de-glazing is an important step, so don’t skip it). Add the paprika, cayenne pepper, sugar and balsamic vinegar. Then switch off the saute function on your instant pot.
7. Place the short ribs back in the instant pot, and add the garlic, thyme and a pinch of salt (how much salt to add at this point depends on how well you seasoned the short ribs earlier – be careful not to over-salt, since you can always add more salt at the end if needed).
8. Pour the stock over the short ribs. Close the instant pot. Choose the manual high pressure function and set it to high. Cook the short ribs for 45 minutes, followed by a 10 – 15 minute natural release.
9. Gently remove the short ribs on to a plate, and turn the saute function back on for the liquid/broth in the instant pot.
10. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add it to the liquid/broth in the instant pot. Mix it in and bring it to a simmer until the liquid has thickened. Taste and season the liquid with more salt or balsamic vinegar, if needed. Transfer the short ribs back into the instant pot and switch off the saute function.
11. Optional step – once the short ribs have cooled off, place your instant pot cooker pot in the fridge (covered). Leave it overnight, or for at least 4 hours, until the fat has solidified on the surface. Then remove this layer of fat, and reheat the short ribs in the instant pot.
12. Serve with creamy cauliflower mash or mashed potatoes.