Smothered Turkey Wings
Smothered Turkey Wings
Inspired by Rose Mayes from I Heart Recipes
3 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 45 mins
- 2 lbs LM Meat turkey wings
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small bell pepper chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- Salt & pepper for taste
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
2. Rinse the turkey under cool water, then pat dry.
3. Combine all of the seasonings: Salt, pepper, thyme,sage,onion powder, and garlic powder.
4. Season the turkey with the seasonings, and rub all over.
5. Sprinkle the all purpose flour into a large freezer bag, then place the turkey into the bag.
6. Close the bag, and shake until all of the turkey is nicely coated with the flour( don't toss out the excess flour).
7. Place a large pan on the stovetop and add in 3 tbsp of vegetable oil, and 2 tbsp of butter.
8. Melt the butter, and heat up the oil over medium heat.
9. Once the oil & butter is nice and hot, add in the turkey.
10. Brown all surfaces of the turkey, then remove from the pan, and put the turkey into a large bake dish.
11. Head back to the stovetop and toss in all of the chopped vegetables.
12. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to your preference, and cook the veggies, over medium heat, until they are translucent.
13. Once done turn off the heat, and add the veggies into the bake dish with the turkey, but reserve the oil/butter mixture.
14. Cover the bake dish with foil, and bake the turkey for 2 hours ( on 325 F).
How to Make Homemade Gravy
1. Heat up the butter/oil mixture over medium heat.
2. Once the butter/oil is nice and hot sprinkle in the flour ( leftover from earlier).
3. Stir continuously, and brown.
4. Pour in the chicken broth, and stir to prevent and lumps.
5. Next add in the half & half, and stir until everything is well combined.
6. Let the gravy cook over medium heat until it starts to thicken up.
7. Remove the turkey from the oven, and uncover.
8. Pour the gravy all over the turkey, making sure that it is nicely smothered, then cover.
9. bake for an additional 1 hour and 30 minutes.
10. Remove the turkey form the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes.
11. Serve and enjoy!